CHOOSING COOKING APPLIANCES
Choosing new cooking appliances can be fun and overwhelming. Consider the questions below to narrow down your options.
1. Will I be keeping the same layout in my kitchen or do I plan on making changes to
appliance location? If the layout will stay the same, what are the sizes of each of my
appliances now? Will my new appliances need to be the same size?
2. Do I currently have gas or electricity connections for my cook top? Will I want to change
from one to another? Will I be willing to pay the cost of changing the connections from one
3. Am I looking for a certain style in my kitchen? Will I want a modern style with glass
surfaces, a professional style with stainless steel, or a classic style with natural materials
like wood or stone?
4. Do I need to accommodate a large amount of people to use the kitchen at the same time?
Will I be cooking for large groups of people? Will I want a larger oven or cook top in order to
accommodate large groups?
5. Do I need a cook top and stove for standard types of cooking or do I prefer a more
professional grade appliance? Do I want special equipment like grill attachments, griddles
and woks, steam cooking options, or induction cooking?
6. What type of ventilation system will work best for my cooking needs? Do I need to
consider a larger updraft vent or even a downdraft system? Will a standard micro-hood work
best for my cooking? Do I have the correct ductwork to include a proper ventilation system?
7. Are there extras that I may need to meet the amount of cooking I do? Would I need items
like built in coffeemakers, warming drawers, or a second oven?
8. Do I need to conserve space in my small kitchen by making use of a small range, a cook
top only, or a micro-hood?
9. Would I want to consider a wall oven to save from leaning over or bending down? As far as
cook tops, would I prefer something like a glass surface or a continuous grate?
10. Am I interested in time saving options in my new appliances? Would I like to consider
self-cleaning ovens, speed-heating ovens, pre-programmed cooking, or sealed burners?