Bathroom remodeling: the first five things you must do
We’ve decided it’s time to remodel our bathroom. What is the best way to get started?
1. Consider how you will use the space and allow it to guide your renovation plans. Do you want your bathroom to be a spa-like retreat for the masters of the house? Or is it more important that the room be able to handle more intense use from the whole family? Gather input from everyone who will use the room, and evaluate what’s already present that works – and what doesn’t.
2. Will you hire a professional or attempt to do the job yourself? While DIYers may save on labor costs, professional designers and licensed contractors may be better able to help you maximize your space and stay on budget. Ultimately, hiring professionals may save you time and money.
3. Measure – everything! Nothing’s worse than falling in love with a vanity or jetted tub only to find neither fits in the space you have for it. Determine how much space your bathroom has for key fixtures such as the sink, toilet, shower and furniture. And mentioning tubs – be sure the one you choose will fit through the bathroom door before you buy it.
4. Get educated before heading to the store or bath & kitchen showroom.
5. Set a budget and establish priorities. A professional can help you best determine how to achieve your objectives within the framework of your budget. Remember to allow yourself a budget cushion in case surprises crop up during the process – and they almost always do.